Wednesday, November 20, 2013

{Practically} Free Fancy Necklace Organizer

I asked my hubs to get a jigsaw for our anniversary.  What can I say?  I'm a hopeless romantic. Haha.  Ever since, I've been anxious to find a reason to use it.  Today, the opportunity finally arose!  While I was cutting down some shelving, I got the hankerin' to do something shmancy with my jigsaw and I decided I would do something about the fact that my long necklaces don't fit in my jewelry box.
So here's my tutorial for my Fancy Necklace Organizer...

Materials List:
MDF board about 1/2" thick
Jigsaw
Fancy frame template
Spray paint (in the color of your choice)
Newspaper (for overspray)
1/2" finish nails
Hammer
Ruler or Measuring Tape
Ribbon
Hot glue gun


1.  Grab your template and trace around it onto your MDF board.  I found my MDF in the To-Be-Burned pile in the construction site next door to my house. (I've actually been able to score a ton of wood worthy of the coolest projects this way!)  I found the template in the online Silouette store and printed it on two sheets of paper, taped them together and cut them out.  



2.  Cut out the shape you just traced with your jigsaw.  (Or, if you want to make it easier on yourself, you can just go buy a fancy plaque at Hobby Lobby.  But then this project wouldn't be {practically} free would it?)  I had room on my board to cut out two, so I used one for my necklaces and the other for Baby G's hairbows.  



3.  Sand away the imperfections around the sides and on the face, then spray paint with your favorite color.  You may need to give it 3-4 coats.  Mine was good with 3. 



4.  With a ruler (or measuring tape), Mark the places you want to place the nails to hang your necklaces on.  I spaced mine 1-1/2" apart with 7 on the top row and 8 on the bottom row so that they lined up perfectly offset (does that make sense?). 



5.  You may need some needle-nose pliers to help with the next step.  In each spot you marked, hammer in a 1/2" finish nail so that half of the nail is still sticking out.  



6.  When you're done hammering in all the nails, turn it over and glue a ribbon to the back to hang it with.  

(Forgot to take a picture of this step!)


7.  Hang your finished Fancy Necklace Organizer & fill it up!



*Note* My organizer was free because I was able to make it out if scraps I had laying around the house.  Your organizer may be PRACTICIALLY free if you don't have one or more of the materials listed above.  

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment